Sunday, February 10, 2008

Turdus migratorius seen in Phoenixville!

And, I saw it!

Actually, it left a calling card of sorts before I laid eyes on it.

Driving south on B street Saturday afternoon I heard and almost felt a big splat hit my windshield.

My first thought?

WHAT did that bird eat, forcryingoutloud?

A quick spray of my super-juiced windshield washer removed all traces of my first direct hit of the season.

Curious as to what kind of bird decided my car was a great target for a diving bomb run I looked around Reeves Park for a likely suspect. I spied him or her, immediately.

A Turdus migratorius!

Early, very early for my first sighting. My earliest date so far has been March 3.

I lay claim to seeing the first little harbinger of Spring because on February 09, 2007 at approximately 3:15 p.m., I saw the first robin!

As I glanced around, I saw not only the fellow (after consideration I am convinced it was a guy bird because girls always go to the ladies room in pairs and I saw only one bird swoop on target, heh) who did the dastardly deed, but easily 100 or more robins all over the ground and playing in the trees. They looked pleased with themselves, excited, really, hopping on the grass and taking short flights and looking around as though they were familiarizing themselves with a home long missed.

I'm glad they're back. And, no, these were not robins which had wintered over. This was a huge flock, and although I take notice of our feathered friends, this year I haven't seen one stay-behind anywhere.

Accordingly, I also lay claim to the benefits of seeing the first robin. "...other 19th-century poems about the first robin of spring is "The First Robin" by Dr. William H. Drummond, which according to the author's wife is based on a Quebec superstition that whoever sees the first robin of spring will have good luck."*

Based on that information, I fully expect to win the lottery, the Irish Sweepstakes, or the Kiwannis Duck Race this year. :)

Now, I just can't wait for the first crocus and daffodil!


*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Robin

No comments: