Thursday, January 15, 2009

A time to heal

Quite a few newsworthy items have gone unmentioned over the past 6 weeks since the last post to my blog. I acknowledge those who have called, written an email of curiosity or concern, or mentioned my absence from the blog in person.

Thank you.

Truthfully, and with all honest humility, I am surprised that this little blog of mine was missed. My realization was a long time coming and your interest may now prove to be a motivation for me to return on a more regular basis.

Before I begin to post items of interest, it probably would be remiss of me to attempt a return to some semblance of normalcy without an explaination, but please know this is difficult for me.

Rarely are we called upon to deal with tragedy and multiple losses such as those which our family has endured over the last year and several months.

In September of 2007, my sister-in-law was killed in a car crash which left the entire family devastated and unconsolable. Her devotion to her family was unequaled, and her time with us was far too short. I miss her, her spirit, the sharing of the ebb and flow of our daily lives, and our close, loving companionship. Carole's love was a major part of the foundation of my life.

April's hint of the return of springtime did nothing to soften the impact of the death of my Aunt who was so much like an older sister to me. From childhood and throughout my life she was the constant, devoted source of support, inspiration, and laughter. She unconditionally loved me, and I relied on her strength, love, and wisdom right up to the days before her death. Priscilla was a major influence on my character throughout my life.

My Aunt Betty passed away in August. She generously shared her home and her delicious meals often, and devoted much time to many family gatherings with the graciousness and hospitality of a woman who truly enjoyed our company. Her love, wit, and commonsense approach to every matter in life is remembered and well-spring of comfort to me. Aunt Betty was a colorful blossom among the garden flowers in my life.

In October, we lost our beloved Mother after her years-long, agonizing struggle with Alzheimer's.

I miss her so much, I simply can't continue except to say that my beautiful Mother was a precious joy and so much more in my life.

We also lost our two constant and loyal Pug companions of the last 14 years. We miss Pugsley and Penelope who bought much laughter and enjoyment to our lives.

I share the following from Ecclesiastes - Chapter 3 from the Bible because it brings me comfort and solace.


There is an appointed time for everything, and a time for every affair under the heavens.

A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to uproot the plant.

A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to tear down, and a time to build.

A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance.

A time to scatter stones, and a time to gather them; a time to embrace, and a time to be far from embraces.

A time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away.

A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to be silent, and a time to speak.

A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

No comments: